402 replies to this topic

#1 AnonymousBrunette

AnonymousBrunette

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

With TMR now on the map, here's a travel thread of sorts to help out all of us out-of-towners. If you are a native, or Nashville is your home away from home, please chime in on your favorite places for music, food, vinyl, and other travel-related tidbits. For example...

Third Man Records
www.thirdmanrecords.com
623 7th Avenue South
Hours: 12 pm-4 pm, weekdays only
ring doorbell - nice people will be admitted
Cash only

United Record Pressing
www.urpressing.com
453 Chestnut Street
615-259-9396

Closest airport: BNA

Best Popsicles: Las Paletas, www.wheresthesign.com

Many thanks!

Edited by AnonymousBrunette, 15 June 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#2 AstroAvery

AstroAvery

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

Not so fail anymore

#3 destijl33

destijl33

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

Jack's BBQ...Broadway...around the corner from Ryman...

#4 kevron6

kevron6

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

The Renaisance which I am sure I spelled wrong is probably the best place to stay for your money. It is a pretty decent hotel and fairly centrally located to everything.

#5 candycaneboy03

candycaneboy03

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

as far as food goes, I have to remind myself to look up Guy fieri's diner, drive in and dives show, and look up which Nashville joints he visited because lord only know that he sure makes you want to make a living eating. plus all the nashville food places that he visited got me pissed at the fact that really good bbq places in the valley are few and far between.

^thank you for all the info guys.

Edited by candycaneboy03, 14 June 2009 - 08:04 PM.

#6 redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

This is a really cool and much needed thread. Thanks to anny. brunnette to start this. I plan on coming that way one day and could use the info.

#7 AnonymousBrunette

AnonymousBrunette

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

I plan on coming that way one day and could use the info.

You and I both! I've spent a scant 36 hours there (saw 7 bands), but boy do I love me some Nashville.

Speaking of, can anyone suggest some favorite places for music? For little roomers who are only in town for a short stint..

#8 kevron6

kevron6

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

The Exit in is a cool place for music
Cannery Ballrom is okay, right above it is the Mercy Lounge which is better
The Ryman is a must if you could schedule a time when an artist you like is playing

Best Local Record Store(Not counting TMR)
Grimey's!
1604 8th Ave. South
Nashville, TN 37203
PH: 615-254-4801
Open 7 Days A Week
Mon thru Sat 11am-8pm
Sundays 1pm-6pm

Ryman Auditorium
Address
Ryman Auditorium
116 Fifth Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37219
(Please note: the Ryman's main entrance is located on the 4th Avenue side of the building)

Edited by kevron6, 15 June 2009 - 06:22 AM.

#9 thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski

Icky Thump

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

The Exit in is a cool place for music
Cannery Ballrom is okay, right above it is the Mercy Lounge which is better
The Ryman is a must if you could schedule a time when an artist you like is playing

ditto on the ryman. it's maybe the best sounding joint i've ever been in.

i'll noodle on cool nashville things to do. oh, totally un-jack-and-music-related, but spending a little time at opryland hotel, walking around, is pretty sweet. you can actually pub-crawl the place if you wante to. or maybe i'm old.

#10 kevron6

kevron6

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

Yeah the Opryland Hotel is definitely worth checking out it is away from most places you will visit but definitely a cool place.

#11 kaputnik

kaputnik

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

Hatch Show Print - Old school letterpress poster print shop

Earnest Tubb Record Shop - Mostly country

Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum and RCA Studio B Tour - Very interesting exhibits even if you aren't a country fan. The RCA Studio tour leaves from here, the studio Elvis would record at when in Nashville. You can sit and play at the piano he used.

Frist Center for the Visual Arts - Had an amazing Rodin exhibit on display when I visited.

#12 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

Have to check out Grimey's too, especially if they have an instore; get there early.

Also, eat at Loveless Cafe which is a little ways outside of town but so worth the drive. If you like icecream go to the Pied Piper in East Nashville, they make all their icecream there in 2 gallon batches and it's so freaking good.

#13 candycaneboy03

candycaneboy03

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

i'm starting to get the feeling that if in order to really get the nashville feel, i'll have to plan a clean 2 week vacation. :mellow:

#14 AnonymousBrunette

AnonymousBrunette

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hatch Show Print - Old school letterpress poster print shop

Frist Center for the Visual Arts - Had an amazing Rodin exhibit on display when I visited.

Ah, the "Hatch Show Print" - I was curious about the origins of the poster at The Teurs show at the Ryman last Fall. That was a great Rodin exhibit - the Frist's new-deco/nouveau architecture is fascinating.

Walking the grounds at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens is also a nice way to spend the daylight hours. The house on the property is stunning, and they have a very pleasant art walk through the wooded areas.

#15 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:36 AM

Best Pizza is at Pizza Perfect on 21st near Vandy. I always go there after shows. It's delicious. Ditto on the Loveless Cafe, they have the BEST BANANA PUDDING EVER. Also make sure you drive down the Natchez Trace Parkway a bit to the PRETTY PRETTY BRIDGE.

Make sure you check out The Great Escape in addition to Grimey's. They have amazing selection of secondhand records and stacks upon stacks of old country, rock, everything you can think of. And Phonoluxe, it's on Nolensville Pike about halfway between 440 and Thompson Lane. There's a place called The Groove in East Nashville, and I've only been there once, but it was nice too. It was new at the time, so they had limited selection, but what they did have was quality music.

Best Chinese Food at 10 on a Sunday Night is New Famous Chinese Restaurant. They were closing and made me a take out order and it was freaking delicious.

Best Sweet Tea is at Irene's in Hendersonville. My family used to live in Hendersonville and we always went to Irene's whenever we went back. They just bring you a pitcher of tea to the table. That's how we do it in the south. The tea at the Loveless Cafe has NOTHING on Irene's tea. Unfortunately I haven't been there in YEARS and it's kiiiind of out of the way. Apparently it's called Ruby's Kitchen now. Their southern fare used to be amazing, and seriously, the Loveless is overpriced and this place isn't. I need to return to verify that my previous assessments are still truth.

OH also there is a cute little soda shop on Elliston Place right across from the Exit/In and their cherry coke is amaaaaazing.

ahhh I want to go back to Nashville now.

#16 funkycandycaner

funkycandycaner

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:37 AM

Best burger place is a Swank approved joint, Five Guys. I don't know the name of the road but it's right across from Qdoba. Tasty, tasty burgers!

#17 emm76

emm76

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

we ate at arnold's country kitchen for lunch last week - it's about a block from third man. it's a "meat and three" place - cafeteria style. SO GOOD.
i can recommend the sweet tea, candied yams, chicken and dumplins, green beans, corn bread muffins. AWESOMENESS.

hatch show print was great - i was too shy to ask for any kind of tour, but i hear they give them.

#18 Day Tripper

Day Tripper

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Best burger place is a Swank approved joint, Five Guys. I don't know the name of the road but it's right across from Qdoba. Tasty, tasty burgers!

oooh, yes. It's at West End and 21st. Nom, good burgers.

#19 thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski

Icky Thump

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

best hot dog is just a block over from TMR - hot diggety dog. the char chicago dog, brat, and polish sausage are awesome. just like chicago! and it's LJ approved!

#20 DW3

DW3

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

There is a lot to do on Elliston Avenue. Like DayTripper said, there's a cool little soda shop. The End and The Exit/In are literally right across the street from each other. The End is my favorite club in town. It's dirty and dingy in all the right ways. Exactly what a fucking rock club should be. And of course this never hurts....

Posted Image

Rotier's the the best burger joint in Nashville, in my opinion. It's really close to Elliston.

Of course Grimey's is awesome. The Groove is another good mom and pop record store in Nashville.

I'll be thinking of more stuff.

EDIT: Don't listen to Swank. Five Guys is a bullshit chain! There is only one Rotier's because that is all the Earth can handle. Cheeseburger+Onion Rings+Coke. DO IT.

Edited by DW3, 15 June 2009 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users