#5822 I-75 Boogie

I-75 Boogie

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

Decent little review here: https://www.theoakla...6a8d7cc11a.html

My seven-year-old daughter and I made the hundred-mile drive up from Gibsonburg, OH.  Despite the typical Michigan traffic and the torrential downpour, we arrived early.  Early enough in fact, to wander by the open door of the venue and catch part of soundcheck!

There were many Blanche-related family and friends in the audience, including the Millers' two children.

Dan (looking dapper as ever) started the night by saying they would be doing this vaudeville style: get 'em on, get 'em off.  Don't like an act, don't have to wait long for the next one.

I, we, liked most of the acts--I could have done with a little less square dancing--but as the night wore on, the pedal steel started working its soporific effects on my daughter.  Dan did give props to "the young lady in the front row" for being out so late on a school night. 

Highlights for me were Libby Decamp (who are always excellent) and the Saline Fiddlers Philharmonic (a dozen or so teenagers), who blew me away with their talent and enthusiasm. 

Everybody perked up when the members of Blanche came on stage.  Tracee looked as beautiful as ever, and wanted to tell the fans how much our support means to them.  I did not catch the name of the guy who played banjo/mandolin. 

Dan talked about the history of the country music duet, and they played "Bluebird."  They sounded just like I remembered.  (That's a good thing.)

Then he talked about the history of the murder ballad, and they played "The World I Used To Be Afraid Of."

Then he said for their final song (only three songs: sad day!) they were going to cover "Detroit City" by Bobby Bare.  He invited anyone who wanted to, to join them up on stage.  He said that anyone, on stage or in the crowd, not singing along on the chorus, would be thrown out into the puddles in the street.  Now, going up on stage is something that I would not have the nerve to do by myself, and that I would probably regret long after.  But my daughter wanted to, so there we went.  I kept my eyes on Dan and studiously avoided looking at the audience. 

So, this is my daughter and I standing behind Feeny, singing along. 

5d7a334e6c056.image.jpg?resize=750%2C500

We said hello to Dan, and he asked us our names and thanked us for coming.

And we made it safely home by 12:30.

And oh yeah, the entire night was professionally filmed by the public television station!!!  No word on specific plans.

#5823 Kat Saunders

Kat Saunders

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

This is such a lovely story and writeup!! I'm so glad you went and that your daughter was able to enjoy the night with you. It sounds like a great evening (maybe minus a little square dancing).

#5824 CHEEKY

CHEEKY

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

Awesome story !

Hopefully a little something in the works to fill our Blanche void.

Hee Yaw !!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users