Photo

Moshcam Counts Down Jack White's albums.

Moshcam jackwhite albums

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

Jack White’s Albums Ranked 13-1

http://www.moshcam.c...jack-white-13-1

#2 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:20 AM

What's the point in making a list like that if you're going to leave out your reasoning a third of the time?

And he tried to argue that Jack doesn't play many Icky Thump tracks live these days (he frequently played three of them on the Lazaretto tour), when Jack barely ever plays anything off GBMS (just rarely Blue Orchid or My Doorbell), and often limits himself to just 7NA and Ball and Biscuit off Elephant, and pretty much only Hello Operator and (far less often) Apple Blossom off De Stijl.  Even White Blood Cells, it's usually just Dead Leaves and Hotel Yorba, with the far-less-frequent occurrence of FILWAG. 

Edited by J.C., 18 October 2016 - 02:33 AM.

#3 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:38 AM

Man, I'd love to see what he could do with something like Girl, You Have No Faith... with the full band.  His playing of I'm Lonely at that APHC show the other day makes me hopeful that he'll massively switch up the setlist on the next tour, however many years down the road that is.

#4 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:40 AM

What's the point in making a list like that if you're going to leave out your reasoning a third of the time?

And he tried to argue that Jack doesn't play many Icky Thump tracks live these days (he frequently played three of them on the Lazaretto tour), when Jack barely ever plays anything off GBMS (just rarely Blue Orchid or My Doorbell), and often limits himself to just 7NA and Ball and Biscuit off Elephant, and pretty much only Hello Operator and (far less often) Apple Blossom off De Stijl.  Even White Blood Cells, it's usually just Dead Leaves and Hotel Yorba, with the far-less-frequent occurrence of FILWAG. 

I agree.

#5 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:55 AM

I stopped reading at "... the Dylan-esque ‘One More Cup of Coffee’ is lyrical genius".  That right there proves Jack's point from a few years ago that there are critics, and then there are bloggers. If you're going to be a critic, at least read the damned sleeve notes and know which songs are originals and which are covers. If you can't do that, then I can't take your critical opinion seriously.

#6 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

Oh man, I totally missed that!  :lol:

#7 angelos

angelos

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

I feel stupid for even posting this jerk's review

#8 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:03 AM

Don't feel stupid, you didn't write it. But we're a critical, opinionated bunch so you gotta be prepared for us to speak our minds.  It can make for good conversation, really.  What do you think of the guy's ranking-- Agree, disagree?

Man, I'd love to see what he could do with something like Girl, You Have No Faith... with the full band. His playing of I'm Lonely at that APHC show the other day makes me hopeful that he'll massively switch up the setlist on the next tour, however many years down the road that is.

I would LOVE to hear that setlist be massively switched up. For all the obscure covers he threw into songs on the Lazaretto tour, the basic sets became surprisingly repetitive.  That right there made it unsurprising that he announced a break from touring.

Edited by Kali Durga, 19 October 2016 - 06:08 AM.

#9 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:01 PM

And yet, compared to 99% of the touring artists out there, who usually play all of the same songs in virtually always the same order, Jack actually switched it up a ton.  But what can we say?  We're spoiled.  :lol:

#10 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

I don't even bother comparing Jack to other artists in regards to setlists, I only compare him to what he's done before. Even the Blunderbuss tour seemed less repetitive than the Lazaretto tour, much less what he was doing way back in the Stripes.  He made it sound like the Lazaretto band was able to follow his changes as well as Meg did, and they certainly did when he'd launch into some cover that they didn't know.  But if that was the case, why couldn't he have launched into more of his own songs that they might not have known?

#11 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

I just hope he brushes up on the lyrics to Black Math.  It kind of makes me laugh that's he's able to remember all of Carolina Drama , but not that.  :lol:

#12 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Hah!  Black Math was so great on the Blunderbuss tour.  What I love is how he totally gave up on the "choruses" of Seven Nation Army (or are those bridges...? Yes, I'm musically illiterate).  I can never remember those, so it makes me feel better to know that Jack can't either.

#13 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:33 AM

7NA has no vocal chorus.  It's just the slide guitar.  Actually, a lot of Jack's songs don't have vocal choruses, and in some ways, that may have put a ceiling on his mainstream appeal, because some people need their singalong choruses.

#14 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:52 AM

You know what part I'm referring to, though, right?  And that's an interesting thought. Definitely makes sense when you start to list the songs that get the biggest crowd response at shows.

#15 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

"Feeling comin' from my bones, find a home, leave it alone, go back home", etc.?

Lazaretto doesn't have a vocal chorus, nor does Dead Leaves.  Just guitar parts.  And there are numerous others.

#16 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Yup, those parts. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moshcam, jackwhite, albums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users