#1 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:02 PM

Edit this setlist | More Jack White setlists

Edited by Kali Durga, 18 November 2018 - 06:07 PM.

#2 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

I cant wait!!!

#3 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

Absolutely insane....wow what a show I continue to be wowed by him even when my expectations are always low. What a crowd, what a setlist.

Also: expect footage online, I saw people a couple rows in front of me recording on their cellphones.....so we have footage of this concert yay! I mean....curse them...

Edited by Rooniedoo, 17 November 2018 - 11:38 PM.

#4 aschwe3

aschwe3

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

That was an absolutely phenomenal show. My third time seeing Jack on this tour, and it was easily the best and maybe the best of the 10 times I've seen him live. I was really concerned at first he wasn't digging the crowd because the setlist was all over the place at the start and he was yelling at the crowd a few times off mic. I think one time he said "you do your job, we'll do ours." But by the end, it was clear he loved the crowd. He called us the best NYC crowd he's had. I think it may have been my area that distorted perception of the whole (lots of middle aged people who mostly didn't dance or sing and left before the encore). 

Anyway, his vocals were on point. His solos were outstanding. His control of the band was as great as I've ever seen. Carla is PERFECT.

Highlights for me were Black Math super early, High Ball Stepper brought the energy back after a few slower songs, Hardest Button followed by Carolina Drama. And literally the entire encore was sex. When he slowed down connected by love, it was around 11 and I assumed he was going to have to get off stage so we would get 7NA, but he kinda kept a lull for a second and both my fiancé and i looked at each other and said "holy fuck he's going to do ball and a biscuit" and sure enough. What a night. Just wish I had gotten a poster

#5 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,685 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:06 PM

I totally agree with you guys's absolutely insane/phenomenal reviews. The Friday show was definitely a good one, but the setlist was very predictable. This one was full of surprises right out of the gate and Jack was obviously SO happy with the energy from the crowd. This was a REAL Jack White show.

I think the yelling at the crowd is just something he's begun doing at a lot of shows, a way to get them as amped up as he is. 

Highlights for me were EYEL with ad-libbed lyrics about contradictions ("What do you do when your mother contradicts your father? What do you do when what you feel contradicts what you think? What do you do when the Old Testament contradicts the New Testament? What do you do when the Declaration of Independence contradicts the Constitution? SHUT UP AND LEARN!"), leading into Black Math (holy crap, what a one-two punch!), finally hearing What's Done is Done (I'd been hoping for that at every show I went to), BBL, Carolina Drama, and then the segue from Ball'n'Biscuit into Sixteen Saltines. 

aschwe3, check the artist's website. They've all been selling their copies on their sites within a few days of the shows.  And if you miss it there, it may end up in the Vault Novelties shop later. 

Note: I added the setlist up there ^ in the first post, in case anyone missed it.

Edited by Kali Durga, 18 November 2018 - 06:07 PM.

#6 ArthurDottweiler923

ArthurDottweiler923

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

Last night's show was fantastic -- maybe my favorite set of the 5 times (across 3 tours) that I've seen Jack play solo. Even though the Warsaw show had a bit of a longer and maybe more varied setlist, I thought last night's sequence of songs changed things up in a nice way: the surprise of Everything You've Ever Learned as the second song of the night, playing High Ball Stepper smack in the middle and then revving the crowd up again a few songs later with the Hardest Button to Button towards the end of the first set. In fact, I think Jack did an excellent job of weaving together the slower songs and the more action-packed ones. A great example last night was when he switched to his St Vincent at the end of Love Interruption and then jumped straight into Hello Operator. 

Usually I try to watch the whole band, but aside from a few times when I looked over at Carla-- who I usually watch as much as I do Jack! -- I couldn't take my eyes off Jack last night. And I don't know if it was because I was standing further away from the stage than at the last few shows, or because I tried different ear plugs, or maybe just the venue, but everything sounded so clear last night. Not only could I understand all the lyrics and even the few times Jack spoke to the crowd, but thankfully, for the first time, I could hear all his guitar solos.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Jack White call us the loudest NY crowd he's ever played to. Actually, i was afraid at first that he was being sarcastic: I was at the infamous Radio City show where he refused to do an encore. But when he asked us during the encore whether we wanted one more song or many more songs, I knew he was happy with us. I didn't think the crowd was terribly loud last night, but maybe, as someone else said, it was just my location in the audience. I was disappointed that we didn't keep up the "la la la la" part of Carolina Drama and that people, at least around me, were weak with the clapping along, but then again, I think we did a great job with the call and response in We're Going to Be Friends, and the crowd was definitely LOUD when it came to Seven Nation Army.

Unlike his other shows, where I usually have a few particular highlights of the night to point out, I don't think this one stood out for any one particular moment -- it was a just a tight, well sequenced set from start to finish and Jack and the band played exquisitely. But my favorite performances of the night, if I had to choose, were We're Going to Be Friends, The Hardest Button to Button, and Seven Nation Army (I know, all standard White Stripes numbers, but sometimes you just don't get over your first love).

Miscellaneous observations/notes:

- I confess, I'm kind of glad he didn't play Cannon. I think the song sometimes gets thrown in as filler and its absence, as well as the absence of newer staples, like Ice Station Zebra, made the over all set feel more unique to our special night with Jack.

- First show (WS or JW) where Dead Leaves wasn't played. However, as opposed to the note above, this staple was sorely missed. I was just hoping he'd play it at an unusual point in the set, like maybe the encore opener! (That would have been amazing.)
- Didn't he play Black Bat Licorice before High Ball Stepper?

- Haha, Jack started 7NA by singing the last verse first. For a second, I thought he was going to cut the song short, but I think he was just so into the moment that his brain jumped to (in my opinion) the (lyrical) climax of the song. Then he caught himself and started ad-libbing. Always cool to hear Jack create on the spot.
- It was funny when Jack grabbed Carla's drumsticks and they played tug of war for a second. Don't remember which song that was.
- Jack had a nice smile on his face during WAGTBF. Great vocals, and beautiful arrangement by this band.

Very lucky to have seen Jack White at the beginning and end of this tour. Can't wait for him to come back next year, hopefully, when The Raconteurs have released their new record. And I'd be very happy if he played Kings Theatre again - I don't think it's possible to have a bad seat in that venue.

#7 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

"I continue to be wowed by him even when my expectations are always low."

- why?

Edited by Okudzhava, 20 November 2018 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users