That's an idea. *gets underway on Norn Iron compilation*

#22 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

Jamesworth13 introduces you, the Little Room patron to.....

Arab Strap

Posted Image Posted Image

Now most of you will already be sick and tired of me touting their genius but it's impossible to just how important a band they have been, both to myself personally and to the Scottish music scene in general.

Forming in 1995, The Strap, as some of us refer to them, was comprised of drunken bearded maniac Aidan Moffat and his ginger mate Malcolm Middleton. The backstory, whilst hillariously sordid is not important, or rather, it's not important in and of itself because it is so present in the music.

11 years later, the world said goodbye to the Strap. After 6 studio albums and much critical lauding, the boys decided that they'd done everything they wanted and it was time to call it a day. Aidan continues his electro-ambient work as L. Pierre and will soon put out an album of his spoken word work and has a new band in the works; and Malcolm will release his third solo album, A Brighter Beat, in the spring, the follow-up two a pair of highly-revered outings in misery and depression.

So what are they like, you ask. Why are you rambling on like you wanna manfuck them in the bumhole, you question. Well they're awesome, and because I do. Arab Strap are incomparable to any other band. So now I'll try and compare them to someone.....but I just can't do it. What you get with them is this: crude, beautiful, debauched, heartfelt poetry sighed from the gutters of Falkirk with the accompaniment of squalling guitars, drum machines, simple arrangements that exude a fragile and simulatenously visceral hold over the listener. They can make you laugh, cry, cum, vomit and fall over unlike any other band. I could go on but if my shoddy words continue to spill forth then I'll ruin your interest and so I shall wheest.

Instead, I present to you this:

A Beginner's Guide To....Arab Strap

1. New Birds (Live From Accelerator Festival In Sweden), (08:12) - possibly the most concise representation of what the band is all about. And live! In Scandinavia!
2. I Saw You (John Peel Session 1997), (03:35) - only ever recorded for the late John Peel, this song was, thank God, finally made widely available of last year's Ten Years of Tears Compilation
3. I Would've Liked Me A Lot Last Night (outtake from Mad For Sadness), (06:06) - a heavy, heavy reading of a song that the normally stoic Moffat has often stated he finds too personal to perform often
4. Girls of Summer (from Girls of Summer EP), (05:58) - melodic, bouncy, dour....oddly hooky ode to the dirty joys of summer
5. One Day, After School (from Philophobia), (05:01) - how can you not love a song with the line "I said with me around she'd never come to harm; then she took a fork and stabbed herself in the arm" in it?
6. We Don't Make Each Other Laugh Anymore (from the Quiet Violence EP), (04:39) - reminds us that sometimes waning love is harder to bear than lost love
7. Direction Of Strong Man (from Elephant Shoe), (04:23) - a lot of people don't consider Elephant Shoe a strong part of the Arab Strap pantheon. True, it's sparse, introspective and slightly more distant than their other albums but with songs like this, it's impossible to argue it's anything less than essential
8. Soaps (from Philophobia), (04:18) - makes me cry and I don't care who knows it
9. Bullseye (Live In Melbourne 2001), (04:25) - a very mature, very insightful, very unique look at sexual frustration
10. Piglet (from Mad For Sadness) (06:30) - Winnie the pooh, betrayal and dead dogs. Sounds disturbing? Sounds beautiful.
11. The First Big Weekend (from The Week Never Starts Around Here), (04:52) - the big single. The one that broke them big. The one they wouldn't play for years. Essential. Utterly brilliant.
12. Dead Air (B-side from Dream Sequence 7"), (03:09) - this is similar to track 6 in sentiment but entirely different in instrumentation and form. Goes to show that even when their subject matter was similar, their invention and talent stopped it being repetitive.
13. The Good Part (live, from The Cunted Circus), (03:10) - shows the softer side of the band...strings and acoustic instruments just make them sound even sadder. Lush.
14. You Shook Me All Night Long (From the Shy Retirer EP), (02:16) - AC/DC cover. 'Nuff said.
15. There Is No Ending (from the Last Romance), (05:33) - last song from the last album and I cannot imagine a more fitting way to say farewell.

Link: A Begginer's Guide To...Arab Strap

#23 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

Cheers. I want to upload stuff. Ask me for bands, people!

#24 thekiddrinkingfire

thekiddrinkingfire

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

I'm a-definitely going to be checking that out. RIGHT NOW. Thanks..

Ah, to James.

Edited by thekiddrinkingfire, 15 January 2007 - 02:56 PM.

#25 Guest_Lady Lazarus_*

Guest_Lady Lazarus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

well done jamesy. spread The Good Part love. and all that jazz.

i would like to please know about Lee Hazlewood and Cowboy in Sweden...can anybody help me! cause i need somebody! not just anybody! you know i need someone! help! :rolleyes:

Edited by Lady Lazarus, 15 January 2007 - 03:02 PM.

#26 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Annie Bo Bannie

Lee Hazelwood - Cowboy In Sweden (Rapidshare)

The password is rideyourpony

EDIT: and this blog has lots of rare Hazelwood stuff Rapidshared. Enjoy.

Edited by jamesworth13, 15 January 2007 - 03:10 PM.

#27 Guest_Lady Lazarus_*

Guest_Lady Lazarus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

thank you darling

#28 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

I aim to please. Also, to accumulate a large amount of cheesecake. If anyone likes my Arab Strap comp, feel free to Paypal me some cheesecake, preferably blueberry.

#29 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:18 PM

Ask me for music! I'm avoiding writing an essay!

#30 thekiddrinkingfire

thekiddrinkingfire

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

A Begginer's Guide To The Unheard Side Of Hope Of The States

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c8ex6v

Post-rock, feedback scuzzled, electronic skips.

#31 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

Woo! Thanks. I'm making a Devendra comp., as requested by Hyland. :wub:

#32 Guest_Hyland_*

Guest_Hyland_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

My internet is continually cutting out tonight : / So uploading is tough.

#33 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

Will's compilation didn't work for me. : (

#34 thekiddrinkingfire

thekiddrinkingfire

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

How come? : (

#35 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

It couldn't open .rar files. Gaaaay.

[check yr pmzz]

#36 thekiddrinkingfire

thekiddrinkingfire

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

Little, short, tiny download for WinRar. It'll help!
http://www.rarlab.com/

#37 Josie

Josie

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GC7CA2XI

Devendra!

Thanks, Will, I'll try that.

#38 Guest_screwdriver_*

Guest_screwdriver_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

thanks will.

my uploading speeds are terrible, but you can check my last.fm if you wish, and if theres enough demand for anything ill leave it uploading at some point, or something.
meanwhile:
BADBOXR (local DIY label) comp.
Is dat sum new 'Hella'.

check it.

#39 jamesworth13

jamesworth13

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,660 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

I remember that a while ago a lot of people were hankering for a good Tom Waits starter suggestion or album. So I've done one and will post it here when finished.

#40 Guest_Hyland_*

Guest_Hyland_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

I've been listening to alot of early-ish Flaming Lips, (up to Transmissions From The Satillite Heart.) I'd love to do a comp of that stuff if anyone is interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users