113 replies to this topic

#1 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Let me get this out of the way first, I'm not a Netflix shill.  Sunday was my last day at that job by choice (I am well aware it is stupid to quit in this economy. Moving on). 

Probably the majority of the calls I received when working for Netflix were from people bitching about there never being anything good to watch. There is good shit on there. People are just too lazy to look or unwilling to try something new.  So I decided to create this thread to post some of my discoveries and have you share yours. 

Some recommendations for you (My tastes tend to lean toward horror and cult movies):

Compliance (2012)

If someone called you claiming to be a police officer and asked you to strip and sexually molest a young girl would you continue believing he was a police officer?  Well apparently some people would because Compliance is a true story about this exact situation.  This movie is tense and will make you uncomfortable, but it is a must watch.  Read the actual news articles after viewing it if you're having any doubts. 

The Pact (2012)

I had never heard of this movie or recalled it being advertised when it was released so it was a chance viewing based on the info and star rating.  I can't stand most modern horror because they rely almost entirely on gore and completely lack atmosphere and tension, but this one was an exception.  It was a surprisingly creepy ghost story with a freaky reveal that totally gave me the willies. 

Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970)

This is more my speed.  Netflix has put a ton of Mario Bava films on instant and some of them are complete crap, but this is a good one.  Visually, it is very reminiscent of Dario Argento with the kaleidoscope of colors and artistically framed murder scenes.  It reminded me a lot of American Psycho with the killer's internal monologue and the way he took delight in his craziness.  There is also a scene very similar to the one where Patrick Bateman tells the girl he is into "murders and executions".  I was really expecting this movie to be stupid, but it turned out to be a great a slasher film.  Right up my alley. 

And Soon the Darkness (1970)

Sooo much tension and suspense!!  A British girl vanishes without a trace in the French countryside and her desperate friend tries to find her. No one speaks English. No one can be trusted.  Nothing is as it seems.  Darkness is approaching.  This movie is a must-see. Please avoid the piece of shit 2010 remake that is also available on Netflix. 

Edited by CaseOfThePunks, 13 February 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#2 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

People are such retards. I figured when you got the job at Netflix that you would probably be dealing with a bunch of people like that. "There's nothing good to watch, let me just call and complain about it." Serious stupid.

Anyway, just watched Compliance the other day and I've been recommending it to everyone. Super tense, super uncomfortable, super disturbing, I really loved it. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen recently. So amazing what people will do when they think they're following orders from a person with authority. Seriously incredible, they take that shit so far. Fucked up. Great movie.

I haven't seen any of these others but I will check them out. Mario Bava is really hit or miss but the one you suggested sounds good. My Netflix queue has like 60 things in it already. Thanks for the suggestions Shaylee!

#3 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Perhaps you can help me track down a film I can't remember. I'm big into horror/suspense myself and I want to watch this movie again. I think it was a foreign film, I reember seeing it in 2005 or 2006. It has a blond lady with short hair on the front, covered in blood with a saw of some kind. It's one of those "hostage" type thrillers and it ends up being the girl on the front is crazy and has multiple personalities. My minds keeps wanting to say Wrong Turn, but I know that is not it.

any ideas??

#4 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

You're speaking of High Tension.

#5 mittensonfire

mittensonfire

Little Room Lunatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,394 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I watched one called "Drum" the other night. Campy antebellum racist sex movie. Good stuff. One of my favorite actors is in it, Yaphet Kotto.

#6 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

You're speaking of High Tension.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 barrowc

barrowc

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I liked that one too (although it was strangely retitled to Switchblade Romance in the UK)

#8 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Watched Complaince, was pretty good but I kept thinking, "Come one people!! Common sense, anyone?"

Good flick

#9 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

I watched one called "Drum" the other night. Campy antebellum racist sex movie. Good stuff. One of my favorite actors is in it, Yaphet Kotto.

wasn't he in Live and Let Die and Alien? and Blue Collar?

#10 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

The thing about Compliance is that it actually happened, that's what makes it so fucked. And the fact that the movie played out pretty much exactly what happened. Really disturbing. You would think that SOMEONE would have said "You know, maybe we shouldn't be strip searching this employee when the police station is only half a mile from here."

#11 sikntwzd

sikntwzd

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

The thing about Compliance is that it actually happened, that's what makes it so fucked. And the fact that the movie played out pretty much exactly what happened. Really disturbing. You would think that SOMEONE would have said "You know, maybe we shouldn't be strip searching this employee when the police station is only half a mile from here."

Agreed, still baffles my mind that this actually happened and more than once at that.

:huh:

#12 billdore

billdore

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

There are a few good things on Netflix, but not enough for me to justify the cost anymore, so after having been a member since the glory days of red mail only, I dropped it a couple months ago.

#13 stripes42

stripes42

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

when are we going to get season 5 of madmen?  surely you know, COTP?

#14 Twist of Denial

Twist of Denial

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

My roommates and I have been watching the British show "Luther"

#15 CaseOfThePunks

CaseOfThePunks

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

when are we going to get season 5 of madmen?  surely you know, COTP?

Should be a few weeks before season 6 airs on TV. That's how AMC shows usually get released to Netflix.

Edited by CaseOfThePunks, 15 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#16 ElectricitysGhost

ElectricitysGhost

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

My roommates and I have been watching the British show "Luther"

I love this show!! I wish there were more episodes to watch because the seasons are so short. Awesome show.

#17 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

^^ What's it about?

#18 macwacky

macwacky

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

damn, i thought it said Luthier

#19 Angelina79

Angelina79

De Stijl

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

I love Luther! Tam, here is the summary:http://www.bbcameric...about-the-show/

I was sad that netflix didn't seem to have any hitchcock other than the tv show. I am now consoling myself with a young Alan Alda in Paper Lion. I better move my keyboard out the the way of the drool.

#20 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

GUYS!  Compliance happened in the county I grew up in about 8 miles from my old house, no kidding.  I remember thinking then that NO ONE could be that dumb but yeah, it was a horrible thing, I didn't know they made a movie about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users