457 replies to this topic

#21 emm76

emm76

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

we got our tickets last week - they weren't too bad cost-wise! i am pretty excited about seeing him! we haven't listened to the new album yet (except for what's on myspace) cause we ordered the LP and it isn't out yet. but i'm making up for it by listening to way too much flat duo jets!

#22 emm76

emm76

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

monkeyboy and i went to the show saturday in newport, ky:
Posted Image
the show was unbelievable - he really plays like he's possessed. and i definitely think more people need to go see this show! we were amazed and disappointed at cincinnatians for the low turnout! but it was great for us, as we got to be right up in front and meet dexter afterwards. he played a lot off of the new album and everything sounded great. we just wish we could go to more shows now!

#23 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

A "man possessed" is right! It's a cliche, but when he REALLY got into the music, the pained expressions on his face were as if he were the medium of some supernatural force. The way he totally tore away at his guitar was simply awe-inspiring. You can really see how Jack couldn't help but be inspired by him in his younger days! I'm now officially in the group of people that think Dex is SUPREMELY under-appreciated. Every fan of music simply MUST see this man play live.

#24 stripeydave

stripeydave

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

i will attempt to tape the Amoeba instore for you and probably the show at the Redwood Room, time and funds permitting.

#25 TheMaunderers

TheMaunderers

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

I love the stripes shirt in that pic with dex

#26 emm76

emm76

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

i will attempt to tape the Amoeba instore for you and probably the show at the Redwood Room, time and funds permitting.

that would be awesome! thank you <3

#27 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:21 AM

OMG, that'd be incredible, Dave! :D

#28 bbug

bbug

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

ack, I'm so sorry that I missed this but have been fighting off a cold since the weekend and just didn't feel like making the drive. Glad you guys got to see a good show!

#29 clashgrl27

clashgrl27

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

I was planning to see him at SXSW. Now I def will. :)

#30 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

I was planning to see him at SXSW. Now I def will. :)

Prepare for a life-changing experience! :D

#31 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

ack, I'm so sorry that I missed this but have been fighting off a cold since the weekend and just didn't feel like making the drive. Glad you guys got to see a good show!

Hey, I still gotta burn you a copy of that Two Headed Cow doc! It'll make you look at Dex in a whole new light. He really is a troubled/crazy musical super-genius. :lol:

#32 shub

shub

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hey, I still gotta burn you a copy of that Two Headed Cow doc! It'll make you look at Dex in a whole new light. He really is a troubled/crazy musical super-genius. :lol:

How did you get a copy of it? I bought off clickstar a while ago but now that clickstar went out of business I can't watch it on my computer anymore! I really want to see it again though.

#33 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

I have it on my DVR from the Documentary Channel on Dish Network. Just gotta burn it onto a DVD with my DVD-recorder. If you or anyone wants a copy, fire me a PM and we'll set up a B&P. Gotta share the Dex love around! :)

#34 M

M

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

Well, well out of the corner of my ear i hear mister Dexter and sista Sarah are here HERE! tomorrow night. Not the venue i would have looked for them at. Saturday night at The Hut sounds like drunken frat boy hell but I'll grab a pool cue on my way to the stage. And for five bucks yet!

#35 Guest_SoulExcitement_*

Guest_SoulExcitement_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:20 AM

I finally got a chance to see Two Headed Cow last night, and oh my god. The film itself has some issues (mostly the lack of contemporary interviews with Crow; I'm told he was in rehab while the film was being made), but the footage from their early days are some of the most of amazing moments in rock history. It starts out with their Letterman appearance, and it is unreal.

Dex and his sister were in attendance, along with the producer of the film. Dex and the producer answered some questions following the movie, and Dex and his sister played a free show today at Fingerprints in Long Beach. I showed up early and hung out with him, smoking cigarettes and talking music before he played an amazing acoustic set. He is truly something else.

#36 Guest_SoulExcitement_*

Guest_SoulExcitement_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

I forgot to mention that Dex told me he and his sister were going on tour with The Detroit Cobras as soon as their current tour is over, so if they're playing in your town, go! Dexter's show is incredible, especially when they play "I Need Whole Lotta You".

The world will one day regret not giving him his due, but you don't have to. See the show, and get a copy of the film if you can.

monkeyboy, please please please burn me a copy!

#37 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

I forgot to mention that Dex told me he and his sister were going on tour with The Detroit Cobras as soon as their current tour is over, so if they're playing in your town, go! Dexter's show is incredible, especially when they play "I Need Whole Lotta You".

The world will one day regret not giving him his due, but you don't have to. See the show, and get a copy of the film if you can.

monkeyboy, please please please burn me a copy!

Just PM'd you my address for a B&P. ;)

And Mollie & I just saw Dex again playing a free show at the 66 Bowl in Oklahoma City and were once again, BLOWN AWAY! Seeing him rock out with Gray Skies was incredible! We couldn't believe how small the crowd was though! It completely confuses me why people aren't more aware of Dex's genius. I hope someday Jack White or Neko put a Dexter cover on their album to bring some more attention to one of their biggest influences.

#38 Guest_SoulExcitement_*

Guest_SoulExcitement_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

Just PM'd you my address for a B&P. wink.gif

And Mollie & I just saw Dex again playing a free show at the 66 Bowl in Oklahoma City and were once again, BLOWN AWAY! Seeing him rock out with Gray Skies was incredible! We couldn't believe how small the crowd was though! It completely confuses me why people aren't more aware of Dex's genius. I hope someday Jack White or Neko put a Dexter cover on their album to bring some more attention to one of their biggest influences.

Awesome, dude, thank you so much!

Yeah, I don't understand why he isn't more renown. It seems to me like all those folks back in the day who got to see that Letterman performance or the Athens footage should have been life long fans, as I now am.

But I hear that in the upcoming Jack doc, "It Might Get Loud", when Jimmy Page pulls out a Link Wray album, and The Edge pulls out a Sex Pistols album, Jack pulls out a Flat Duo Jets album and they show footage of Dex and Crow playing "Baby Blue" by Gene Vincent and "Frog Went a Courtin". I expect millions of people to see that movie, so hopefully that'll help him out.

#39 roxxan23

roxxan23

The White Stripes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

the dex romweber duo is touring with the detroit cobras this summer. i'm excited to be able to see them!

#40 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

Alright, with the news of Third Man Records popping up on Dex's myspace page, I'm SUPER excited! I believe he's signed to Bloodshot for a multi-album deal, so I don't think Jack would be putting out any Dex Romweber Duo stuff directly, but this really makes me think they must be up to SOMETHING! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Jack to produce Dex's next album and maybe perform a track or two with him on it a la Van Lear Rose. My mind would be BLOWN. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users