144 replies to this topic

#121 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

This song is...... Man, he wasnt messing around when he said this was gonna be a weird album. Maybe hes messing with us releasing singles that arent really singles lol.

#122 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

I'm ready to hear these songs in the context of the rest of the album. 

And I really, really hope he's singing about buying up cocks to build an army.

#123 bigbayblue

bigbayblue

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

I'm now officially 0 for 3 with the new songs.  To me, these songs sound like Jack was overly desperate to make something completely new, regardless of whether they formed cohesive songs.  Like you would need to be out your mind on drugs to appreciate them.

Oh well - not everything needs to be for me.  I still get to see him tour, and Ticketmaster is giving me a free copy of the album, so at least I don't have to pay for it.  There's bound to be one or two songs I'll like - I hope.

Edited by bigbayblue, 26 January 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#124 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

I like all three so far but with respect commander and corporation Id prefer shorter intros. Once vocals come in I love them but the intros seem 30 seconds too long for my taste. I love the instrumentals. Some of the drumming takes a few listens to get into, the keys/bass/guitar are flawless in my opinion. The drumming doesnt always have the punch that it does in almost all of his previous work but it is more diverse and complex at times during these three songs. I realize some of it is from an electric drum machine and other types of percussion. If the intro to respect commander was shorter even by like 30 seconds and the second part was longer itd be my favorite song of his in a long time. This song live might go in some crazy directions and I cant wait.
Despite the criticism I do like all of what Ive heard and I know Ill love the album. New band mates were the best thing for this third album, love the new direction. Loved the country feel on Blunderbuss but I wish Lazaretto left it behind.

Edited by mmshuster, 26 January 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#125 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

Anyone know the touring band members?

#126 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

I'm now officially 0 for 3 with the new songs.  To me, these songs sound like Jack was overly desperate to make something completely new, regardless of whether they formed cohesive songs.  Like you would need to be out your mind on drugs to appreciate them.

Oh well - not everything needs to be for me.  I still get to see him tour, and Ticketmaster is giving me a free copy of the album, so at least I don't have to pay for it.  There's bound to be one or two songs I'll like - I hope.

I get why respect commander isnt for everyone it is odd, my brother hated connected and is a huge jack white fan. Connected took me about 20 listens to win me over, respect is good but that intro is way too long, corporation is really cool but again intro is too long. I get why people arent into it, maybe the rest of the album will give you what youre looking for. I just want shorter intros man. I can see Ice Station Zebra and Ezmerelda steals the show being pretty odd too.

Edited by mmshuster, 26 January 2018 - 10:51 AM.

#127 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

His lyrics seem to be taking a back seat for this album.

#128 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

Like you would need to be out your mind on drugs to appreciate them.

I must be on drugs, then, 'cause I'm seriously enjoying the groove of these songs   :)

His lyrics seem to be taking a back seat for this album.

That ^ is the one thing I'm having to wrap my head around. His lyrics are what got me into his music in the first place, so these three songs are a bit of a shock in that regard.  

Overall, I've a seriously jumbled mix of reactions to these songs. 

Anyone else get the feeling the line about buying up empty lots to start a big farm sounds like it's about Detroit?

#129 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

I must be on drugs, then, 'cause I'm seriously enjoying the groove of these songs   :)

That ^ is the one thing I'm having to wrap my head around. His lyrics are what got me into his music in the first place, so these three songs are a bit of a shock in that regard.  

Overall, I've a seriously jumbled mix of reactions to these songs. 

Anyone else get the feeling the line about buying up empty lots to start a big farm sounds like it's about Detroit?

Could be, corporation is TMR cass maybe. Love the new stuff but im way more impressed by the instrumentals, lyrically I havent yet been blown away. Connected was great but very predictable. If I listen to a song like love interruption, ,blunderbuss, hypocritical kiss, would you fight for my love Im enamoured by the lyrics. Connected just doesnt have the same poetic genius, but the organ/guitar/key solo are awesome. Never before lazaretto did I think anything he put out was incomplete but songs like I think I found the Culprit sounded beautiful and couldve been an amazing song but it seemed unfinished. Black Bat was a cool idea and riff but lyrically I found it empty. I expect better than lazaretto lyrically but I think this may be amazing instrumentally, hopefully thw rest of the album feels more lyrically complete

Edited by mmshuster, 26 January 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#130 Rooniedoo

Rooniedoo

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

Could be, corporation is TMR cass maybe. Love the new stuff but im way more impressed by the instrumentals, lyrically I havent yet been blown away. Connected was great but very predictable. If I listen to a song like love interruption, ,blunderbuss, hypocritical kiss, would you fight for my love Im enamoured by the lyrics. Connected just doesnt have the same poetic genius, but the organ/guitar/key solo are awesome. Never before lazaretto did I think anything he put out was incomplete but songs like I think I found the Culprit sounded beautiful and couldve been an amazing song but it seemed unfinished. Black Bat was a cool idea and riff but lyrically I found it empty. I expect better than lazaretto lyrically but I think this may be amazing instrumentally, hopefully thw rest of the album feels more lyrically complete

I mean to me, the fact that this is so instrumental heavy fills me with joy, sometimes I just want to listen to music with miniminalistic lyrics and groovy instruments which this album is delivering. Im not really upset about the lyrical quality of this new album

#131 DougieZero

DougieZero

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

Anyone know the touring band members?

That's a good question. I have checked the social media accounts of some of the known people he used for this album. They really don't seem that enthused.They also seem to be really active session men/women who are ALWAYS working with big names... and are always busy... always touring. I have a good feeling Dominic is involved, as he is the only person from the old crew who still actively plugs Third Man projects on social media. The rest kind of moved on....

I kind of liked the old crew, as he picked people from obscurity and put them on the big stage. There was an overwhelming charm to that.

#132 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

mmshuster

Interesting.  I think Self-Titled and White Blood Cells have their fair share of not-fully-developed songs (particularly in their second halves), and yet I didn't experience that, for the most part, with Lazaretto.  And I think the lyrics to That Black Bat Licorice are some of the most clever he's ever written, with "I've got the wit of the staircase with atomic clock precision" being a person favourite.  Ah well, different strokes, and all.

(I haven't been home to listen to the new track yet, so obviously I can't comment on that.)

#133 Monkhey

Monkhey

Get Behind Me Satan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

Ill tell you one thing, this album wins for best track titles ever. They all sound so interesting.

#134 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

In case anyone was wondering...

I'm with him.

This is gonna be great live, though I hope he doesn't blow out his vocal chords doing that scream.

ETA:  I've only listened to it three times, and the groove is already stuck in my head.  I do believe this is my favourite of the three tracks released thus far.  Re:  the "intro", we've probably got to stop thinking of anything prior to vocals as the "intro" of a song.  The vocals in this particular track are more or less an interlude...the meat of the song begins very early.  This track is probably gonna drive radio programmers nuts, on account of the minimal vocals, but I honestly don't give a crap how much radio play this album gets.

Edited by J.C., 26 January 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#135 kluczmen

kluczmen

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:24 AM

I like the new one a lot more than Respect Commander, looks like Jack got really encouraged to do extended instrumentals - let's face it he did enough very song - a like songs namely on albums like WBC, GBMS, or Blunderbuss, let's see how the whole thing will play out

Edited by kluczmen, 27 January 2018 - 03:55 AM.

#136 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:12 PM

mmshuster

Interesting.  I think Self-Titled and White Blood Cells have their fair share of not-fully-developed songs (particularly in their second halves), and yet I didn't experience that, for the most part, with Lazaretto.  And I think the lyrics to That Black Bat Licorice are some of the most clever he's ever written, with "I've got the wit of the staircase with atomic clock precision" being a person favourite.  Ah well, different strokes, and all.

(I haven't been home to listen to the new track yet, so obviously I can't comment on that.)

Agreed I think minimalism and tracks that needed more are different though. I think that wbc and self titled were just a minimalistic approach which was the beauty of tws, maybe black bat was a bad example bc I agree lyrics were clever. I also may have been over critical of lazaretto as a whole I just found Blunderbuss to be a much better album, blunderbuss, hypocritical kiss, and machine gun silhouette b side are some of my favorite songs hes done. I also liked sixteen saltines a whole lot. Lazaretto just didnt have tracks that blew me away like those on blunderbuss. Boarding House has awesome instrumentals but there's just not a ton of his clever writing in respect and corporation which is one of my favorite parts of his music. Either way Im excited to hear something fresh thats different from the formula of the last two albums.

#137 mmshuster

mmshuster

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

In case anyone was wondering...

I'm with him.

This is gonna be great live, though I hope he doesn't blow out his vocal chords doing that scream.

ETA:  I've only listened to it three times, and the groove is already stuck in my head.  I do believe this is my favourite of the three tracks released thus far.  Re:  the "intro", we've probably got to stop thinking of anything prior to vocals as the "intro" of a song.  The vocals in this particular track are more or less an interlude...the meat of the song begins very early.  This track is probably gonna drive radio programmers nuts, on account of the minimal vocals, but I honestly don't give a crap how much radio play this album gets.

Theyve cut the organ solo of connected on the radio which is awesome especially as it leads iinto the guitar, yeah who knows how theyll edit corporation. Riff is catchy as hell though.

Edited by mmshuster, 27 January 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#138 NoRightOpinion

NoRightOpinion

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:32 AM

I'm ready to hear these songs in the context of the rest of the album. 

And I really, really hope he's singing about buying up cocks to build an army.

Lol pretty sure hes buying all the empty cots to start an army

#139 kandykanekidd

kandykanekidd

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:23 AM

Can anyone name a time Jack has allowed radio edit versions of his songs? This is a first I think.

#140 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

Can anyone name a time Jack has allowed radio edit versions of his songs? This is a first I think.

Wasn't there a radio edit of Icky Thump?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users