7 replies to this topic

#1 MaggieMay

MaggieMay

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

So, back in high school I had heard of TWS, liked the music but this small town country girl didn't have access to the cable/satellite, internet, let alone a music or record store for more exposure.  Fast forward to 2002 when I'm watching SNL and witness "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground".  What the F**K was that?!?!  I was HOOKED.  Got my hands on their music and have enjoyed it ever since.  I have never been a part of an online community (other than FB) or pursued a shared interest forum until I searched for "Jack white fan club" and found the Vault, which led me to "Whiteswirl" which led me here.  

I can't tell you how happy I am to have found an outlet for my love of everything JW!  No one, I mean NO ONE in my small town rural community even knows who he is (and we only live two hours north of Detroit)...well there's my husband who's been exposed for years, but he claims he wouldn't go see Jack if he was playing across the road. I would bet it's because he's watched the look on my face whenever I'm listening to Jack's music and knows where he stands. 

Most recently I fulfilled a long time dream of witnessing JW live.  I bought two tickets to the Masonic Temple show and had to BEG my sister to come with me.  She actually met me there after I had entered the theater.  I went down hours early and waited in line and met some great people.  May have seen some of you there.  I was about 7 people deep and slightly to Jack's right.  I can only describe the experience as life changing.  Kali, if you read this it was a pleasure to watch you on stage!  I feel like it's a badge of honor to say I was at that show.  My sister left an hour into Jack's show.  I should have never worried about taking someone with me, it was a deeply personal experience and far exceeded all of my wild expectations. But hey, farm girls don't go to big bad Detroit and stand on the street by themselves, it's practically a written rule.  I even tried to assure hubs I would be fine, but "i met some really nice people on the internet" did nothing to ease his mind. :D

Yeah, that's me.  30ish, married, mom, farm girl, nurse, and lover of everything Jack.  I want you to know I enjoy reading so many things here and the other fan sites, thank you. 

OH!  I also found the holy grail here, the Masonic tape download...hope I have enough computer skills to make that work.  THANK YOU!!!!

#2 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

I feel weird being the first person to welcome you, but welcome to the LR.  Your husband's going to be sorry you found this place, because it may very well enable and feed your addiction to unbearable levels.  But as a fellow addict, I think you're gonna love it here.

#3 kts1997

kts1997

White Blood Cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Welcome Maggie.

And no, you did not see me at the Masonic. Not this year anyway ;)

#4 Okudzhava

Okudzhava

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Didn't see me as well - I was busy reading the forum on another continent, sorry! Welcome to the club.

#5 J.C.

J.C.

Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Welcome, Maggie.  I live in a suburb of Vancouver, and will be attending his show at Deer Lake Park in Burnaby, BC on August 28th (I've seen him live five times previously -- three times with TWS, and twice with the Raconteurs.)  Sorry to hear that no one in your immediate personal life has seen the light, as you have, with regards to Jack.

#6 MaggieMay

MaggieMay

Icky Thump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hey all! Thank you.

#7 Lisajean74

Lisajean74

Icky Thump

• Members