42 replies to this topic

#41 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have the best "best" friend in the world. Recently gifted to me, the 2 DVD set.

I think listening to the guy who spent over 10 years of his life putting the ONLY device on the planet was exceptional. When it "blew", I almost cried. My heart went out to him. I don't think enough credit was given to those damn engineers. Just my arsehole opinion. Artists in their own right.

I loved all the old footage. Hurt's grandsomething on the old porch is haunting. Walking on the spot where he had a stroke. Heart wrenching. That old white girl thinking she heard the 78... exceptional how that thrist for music and meaning lives in all of us.

Joseph Kekuku and the origins of the steel guitar was revelatory. A bolt hit the strings of his guitar???!!! Funny how life goes, eh?

I have the PBS DVD on the Cater family so I had seen most of their bio but I loved that old oil-based paint on the front porch.

So good to see the Artist's reaction to hearing themselves. Jack telling Elton how to play those notes. Elton saying, "yeah"... hahaha. I am always floored to actually see Jack's genius in action. Witch leads me to voice how little talent I personally have in regards to doing anything in life SO FUCKING BRILLIANTLY. Everyone of those sessions left me awestruck.

Edit. Already bought a Lydia Mendoza lp from Ebay Mexico. Mal Hombre has to be the most anti-misogynistic song ( lack a better way of putting it ), I have ever heard.

Edited by lindapoirier, 01 July 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#42 lindapoirier

lindapoirier

De Stijl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

How difficult is it to reconcile injustice? This DVD just another instance of Blacks and Natives struggling with an institutionalized cruelty. It warps my senses trying to understand. So many, so devoid of simple, basic compassion. I was fortunate. I never once saw my Mother or Father blame their misfortune on another human. EDIT HERE. I mention this because I believe prejudices are, in large part, a result of nurture.

I dispair. Then I think about how those sharecroppers took those lemons. Squeezed them! Made fucking beautiful lemonade! And it is history that proves them masters of humanity. They will be remembered, lliving on for eternity. Perhaps music will be our salvation. Perhaps music will save the world.

Edited by lindapoirier, 03 July 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#43 Kali Durga

Kali Durga

The White Stripes

• Little Room Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

It hasn't saved the world yet, though it was apparently around even before language. But it can definitely save individual lives and that's still something incredible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users